Monday 24 May 2010

It'll all be worth it when it turns a wheel

   The Tesco store yesterday morning was full of fresh-faced and attractive young women suitably attired for the hot weather. Not a good day to be gender dysphoric.
   My day was spent getting very hot, grubby and oily fettling my automotive folly. Last time I posted about it I was optimistic about getting it on the road, that was before I discovered a section of chassis that had succumbed to fifty years of rust and had more holes than a Swiss cheese. So yesterday was spent with my dad, welding in a repair section. He's better at welding than me and anyway since it's his welder he won't let me near it. He seems to think I'll break it.
    We have a bees nest this year somewhere not far from where the car is kept. My dad wasn't quite sure where it is, but as we worked we were interrupted by confused bees intent on suicide. I think they were attracted to the solvents in the paint as I dealt with some perforated bodywork. As we were out in the sun, our local buzzard turned up and started wheeling in the sky above us. Great, he's eyeing us up as potential food, we're in the desert scene of a thousand Western movies.
   The kind of motor enthusiast who wears string-backed driving gloves would shudder at this, to repair a non structural disconnect between two panels I used builder's gap filling adhesive. Amazingly this stuff is very effective in this application, I've used it this way for years and unlike body filler it remains stuck to painted metal. But forgive me, for I have sinned against all that is dear to classic car enthusiasts.
   So there it is, a car with less holes in it. Still off the road, but it's almost starting to look useable. I'm much indebted to my dad for his welding.

6 comments:

  1. I suspect that most ships a-sailing on the sea are held together with silicone sealant (or gorilla snot, if you prefer). And the older the ship, the higher the proportion of gorilla-ness... you have well-dressed and attractive women at Tesco's? -crikey, different to our Tesco's, though I have yet to see a nightie walking around there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure whether a Benny Hill-esque set of girl-goggles mean I fail to notice the less comely among the shoppers, or whether we simply see a better class of customer in these parts :)

    I have used silicone sealant on that car in the past to replicate(badly) a piece of perished windscreen rubber, but this time I decided it was too far gone and went to a nice man in Calne for the correct replacement. Who knew there were that many windscreen rubber profiles in use fifty years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silicone? 'Tis against Nature. There's nowt wrong with molten lead and a handful of tallow to stop yer paddle burning. And t'fumes'll kill wasps.

    Cat XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure;y lead loading is a little newfangled for your particular folly? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Providing you are not a) planning on selling the car as A condition and b) not using news paper to pack out the space I can live with it.

    The Spit had it's fair share of bodges done on it over the time I had it on the road (1/4 of the time I've owned it :o ) providing it was structually sound I lived with it. And I bet yours is on the road before mine...

    Stace

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's definitely not the worst bodge I've ever done. That one involved spray polyurethane foam and a craft knife.

    Mine may hit the road first but I'm certain yours'll be more roadworthy!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.