Sunday 25 March 2012

The first road of summer

    It's springtime here in Southern England. Sunshine, pretty flowers, buzzing bees, all the stuff you'd expect.

    And dry roads.

    A simple weekend trip to the shops takes on the air of Mad Sunday at the Isle of Man TT as you jostle for space with sports cars and bikes of all ages ridden or driven with wildly varying levels of enthusiasm and ability. A toxic mix alongside all the regular crop of myopic weekend drivers, the usual corners with hastily repaired holes in the hedges start to sport broken bits of fence again.

    Well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, that's what I say.

    The Wreck has not seen much use over the winter. I've run it up on a regular basis and taken it gingerly out over a few minor roads to keep it ready to go, but fear of corrosive salt has kept it away from main roads. No worries about that now, so off I went at a sedate 50 miles per hour. The heater is now permanently plumbed in so I had the window down, it's a car that positively invites you to drive with an elbow resting on the door.
    And I'm pleased to report that it's doing well. It starts on the button, the clutch is behaving itself and all the oil and coolant is staying where it should. I had a minor worry when the oil light flickered on briefly at idle, but soon found out that it was a function of the oil level tending toward the lower line. I've been there before with Wrecks.
    I spent a while removing some tired five-decade-old paintwork to attack a patch of surface rust. Maybe I'm afflicted, but I found the resulting pattern of paint layers and polished metal to be rather pretty.

7 comments:

  1. And here's me thinking it looked like the white mould you get on stale bread! Actaully I couldn't make out what it was until I reached the end of your post! Anyway it is just the right weather for doing up the paintwork I would think. It's been very warm and sunny here in Southport over the last few days.

    Shirley Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mind was working in the background while I read.

    I was sure I had seen something like the picture before but it is now decades since any rust has appeared even on nine year old cars so something has improved in the world after all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, you are afflicted, you have a terminal case of classic car, I'm afraid you will never be a normal healthy social animal again, but wil be restricted to rallies, shows, and "noggins and natters" from now on; still could be worse ~ it could be raining

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a comment on this last night Jenny and it seems to have gotten lost in the bloggosphere. I mentioned something about trying to figure out what the picture was all about and didn't know until the end of reading your post what it was. I'd thought it looked like the mould that forms on stale bread! Still pretty though! Well you have the weather for doing up the old wreck that's for sure!

    Shirley Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry, it was in the spam folder. I've just had my first look in there in months, and released it. I have no idea why, normally there's an obvious cue.

    I just liked the abstract nature of the cleaned up bodywork.

    I've done the classic car scene years ago, but backed away. I made some long-term friends, but it wasn't quite my scene.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a Triumph getting the car out on the road again with long summer runs ahead (sorry I could not resist that one).

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.