Thursday 10 January 2013

Kinky boots

    Regular readers of this space will have seen my never-ending quest for female-appropriate footwear in my larger-than-average size. Sadly there is precious little to choose from, but I will never give up. Google is my friend in this matter, and it has rewarded me with more than one unexpected find.
    A case in point is the pair I found last week. Flat heeled Mary Janes, available not just in my size but tow sizes above that. Nothing fancy, but entirely appropriate for example for smart office wear or a going-out ensemble. Made-to-order in Thailand, and available via mail order from a supplier catering for the TV Little Girl market.
    That's right, the model is pictured wearing LG white socks and enough pink frills to keep the worldwide satin industry alive through the recession.
    It's funny, I'd never considered looking into that market for everyday footwear. I have LG acquaintances and I've encountered LGs at events like Sparkle, but I guess I'd never really looked at their accessories and noticed that some of their shoes are surprisingly normal. Unexpectedly it is the footwear intended for the more flamboyant members of our wider community that's often most available in my size, I could have several pairs of thigh boots, outrageous heels, or things with buckles, padlocks and zips all over them if I so chose, but in the words of my late friend Dawn: "You wouldn't wear them to Tesco".
    So I've ordered a pair of LG Mary Janes and I should have them by the end of the month. Paired with a conventional outfit they will not attract attention, only I will know their unexpected origin.
    A rare victory I think, worth celebrating.

4 comments:

  1. Does this mean you've given up on making your own or is that project still alive, time permitting of course? I am sure there will be many more sources for made to measure and made to order shoes, it's just finding them. At least you've made a start.

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw the title of your post, I thought you had written about the movie.

    I'm glad that you found shoes that work for you though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. look forward to the follow up post, even my size tens are hard to cover...

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I'm still going to make myself some footwear. Already moulded my feet, just not got round to the next step.

    As it happens it's easy to find made-to-measure shoes, just not cheaply. I have better uses for 600 quid I think.

    I was thinking of the '60s hit from Patrick McNee & Honor Blackman rather than the movie. I hope the shoes I've ordered don't turn out to be a mistake, they aren't out-of-the-way price but neither were they throwaway priced.

    I guess I'll post a pic or something in due course.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.