Monday 1 June 2020

Well. Here we are.

    It's a thing, in our community of transitioners, that people fade away. The challenges of getting through all this are overcome, they have whatever they consider makes them a Real Woman, and they're gone. We've all lost friends that way, the old internalised transphobia making them drop their trans community like a hot potato, in case they are reminded that they too are one of us.

    It's now about 18 months and a bit since I had my surgery, God knows how many years down the line along a very difficult path. That's not the end of my transition, because in reality transition never ends. You're always learning new stuff, and things come along that remind you of the time before. Regognising that is the key to coming to terms with it all, not running away.

Staying on-brand for the pandemic.
    For someone not running away though, I've been a bit absent. Truth be told I've had a difficult time, probably some of the worst mental health problems of this whole sorry episode. Trauma accumulates, and after so long fighting it all came out. Stuff from the last decade, stuff from school, stuff from the frankly shitty so-called medical care I've had from parts of the gender medical service, and stuff from crappy employers. My counsellor has helped, now over the phone rather than face to face.

    It's been a bit of a struggle, but I have a feeling of coming out of it. Writing is coming more easily, the muse that had completely departed me at times is back. Oddly the COVID-19 lockdown is helping, while no social interaction is hard, the removal of some stresses has helped. But a whole load of new challenges emerge, and despite people talking about the end of lockdown I don't see it going away. Take care of yourselves, folks.

11 comments:

  1. Nodding my head yes to all of the above. You are looking good behind that mask ... hehe, a friend suggested I should rob a bank the other day. You take care too Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody's gone that far with me :) But yes.

      Perhaps a coffee sometime, in the After Time?

      Delete
    2. When we come to visit, in the After Time, a coffee together will be high on my list. :)

      Delete
  2. Darn! I cannot use the rob a bank joke again!

    Sorry about the struggles, life is s*** then we die...

    It is an age since we last met up because I have just not managed to get south for the family visits and the easter one planned obviously did not work. Only an idiot would think this situation is going to clear up any time soon. My attitude has been relaxed and had the consolation of sixty years of semi isolation because of the trans issues.

    Stay strong and be ready to meet up again as soon as I manage to travel again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understood on isolation, we're shielding here.

      Good to hear from you, too. I might come up your way, who knows!

      Delete
  3. So good to see you writing again, beyond tweets (which I do see!)

    Love,

    Calie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Coming up from something like this is a slow and incremental process.

      Delete
  4. Welcome back and good luck getting through those troubling times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)

      It's not in the play book, is it.

      Delete
  5. Welcome back!And good luck with your continuing adventure in transitioning!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.