Wednesday 20 March 2019

Getting one's life back

    Well, (counts...) nearly 5 months between posts is a record, even for me. But as one might imagine, I've had other things on my mind. Surgical recovery hasn't been too difficult for me and I appreciate I've been pretty lucky, but it all takes it out of you. And taking back on the full-throttle mantle of  technical journalist and editor only 5 weeks after leaving Parkside Hospital  has left me with precious little time for anything else. It's as though you have only so many words to write within a given day, and the mojo departs so easily.

Once a blacksmith's daughter, always a blacksmith's daughter.
    So 5 months down the line, what of it? All there, seems to not be broken. As I said in my previous post, no transcendental rebirth moment. Still me, still getting on with it. But I do have a new confidence that wasn't there before, something I completely didn't expect. Enjoying wearing clothing without having to worry whether something shows is only part of it. I've been off to a nice hacker camp in a Netherlands hotel (at which I operated a blacksmith's forge wearing inappropriate clothing), and run a conference in Cambridge for Hackaday.

    Mental health wise though, things aren't quite as rosy. This last half-decade has been pretty crap, all things considered, I've had a lot of people who should know better try to derail me and everything I have I've had to fight for tooth and nail. That's taken a toll, and GRS didn't fix it overnight. More counselling, something I wonder if I'll ever be free of.

    I started this by falling out of the closet as a married late-30s web developer working in the publishing business. I'm now a single late-40s technical journalist, and I'd prefer not to be the former. That's a whole new chapter, isn't it.

4 comments:

  1. Nice to see you write, Jenny, knowing you're doing OK. I owe you an email.

    Calie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take care yourself, sorry I've been a bit quiet.

      Delete
  2. GRS does not cure everything, but I am learning (four months down the line) that it does cure some problems I didn't know I even had.

    It's good to know you are well and that everything is functioning, I suspect that the toll of the last few years will take time to heal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Paula, I didn't see this at the time. Hope you're OK.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.