Thursday 3 February 2011

Go into the salon a bloke, come out slightly less of a bloke

    Last month I lamented that while on a visit to my hairdresser I was not presented with the chance to talk to her about growing out my hair into a more gender-neutral style.
    Yesterday I had the Long Chat with her and her colleague. I had my hair cut on Saturday so I had already talked about growing it out, but since she had other customers in the salon back then I needed to tell her why so that she could manage its growth. On Saturday she tidied it at the edges but left the main growth intact, it seems next time she'll thin the ends of the longer growth, something that will make growing the layers out more easy.
    So my wife and I went down the road in our lunch hour and had the Long Chat. And it went perfectly. There were the inevitable questions but they were both understanding and seemed to be relishing the prospect of creating a dual-purpose hairstyle.
    The next eighteen months will see me sporting a succession of annoying hairstyles as it grows out enough volume. At least under the care of an expert hairdresser I should avoid their also being embarrassing hairstyles.

7 comments:

  1. Well done! It's a pity it takes so long for hair to grow isn't it? I suppose a gradual change is best though as people don't notice as much and get used to it.

    Shirley Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally a subject that I can comment on!

    Hair! Hair! Long beautiful hair!

    I'm really happy for you!

    C'mon less of a bloke!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a very sensible approach, hon - good on you for seizing the opportunity to tell them what you wanted and why.

    I've been struggling with growing my hair out. It grows quickly, no problems there, but I'm having a problem finding a hairdresser who understands how to clean it up and nurture the length - without turning it into a mullet. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so envy you, Jenny. I think you know that hair has been a big issue for me since my teenage years...yet I have never grown it beyond 4 inches or so. At this point, it is salon cut, but the corporate male look and that's not going to change.

    This all reminds me of a very close friend whom I have not seen now for a few years, since I moved across country. He had the corporate male hair look but then retired young and virtually disappeared. I saw him a couple of years ago and he had long glorious hair. I must say that I was very surprised. The long hair look is just something I never expected of him. I have not seen him since nor have we exchanged emails. More than once I have wondered if he could be in transition, leaving his old life behind. Off topic, but your post brought that to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear the Long Chat went well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning everybody, and thanks for your comments.

    So it begins. :)

    I'm guessing you'll all be familiar with Scooby Doo. As a day-to-day scruffy bloke I will increasingly start to resemble Shaggy Rogers over the next few months as it grows out but hasn't become long enough to make anything useful. Still, anything that gets me closer to Velma Dinkley! :)

    The dreaded mullet was a concern of mine too. My hairdresser won't be cutting the sides, so that should help avoid that.

    It's so good to have started on this particular road.

    @Calie, I wrote a while back about a school friend of mine about whom I've wondered whether he has similar issues to mine. I've lost touch with him completely, but if you haven't with your friend why don't you send that mail? You never know how it'll turn out.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.